Malabu oil deal: FG recovers $85m from UK, plans more recoveries
The country’s Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, stated this at the consultative meeting on assets recovery in Abuja on Thursday.
Malami bemoaned the non-compliance attitude of some countries that are still holding on to stolen assets, despite several treaties signed with the Federal Government to facilitate the return of stolen assets.
The Malabu oil deal has lingered over the years and its investigation has spread to several countries from France to Italy.
Though the transactions predated the Goodluck Jonathan government, some officials in the Jonathan era were fingered in the deal. Former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, was one of them.
But the ex-Attorney-General has said he acted on former President Goodluck Jonathan’s instructions, as it concerns the Malabu oil deal.
He also said he was aware of plans by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to raid his house in Okene, Kogi State.
Adoke said this in a statement released on Friday and signed by his media aide, Victor Akhidenor.
“We have been reliably informed of a plan by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to raid the Okene, Kogi country home of Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN), the former minister of justice and attorney-general of the federation.
“We gathered that the swoop on the country home of the former attorney-general and minister of justice will happen any moment from now as part of EFCC’s sustained campaign to soil the good name of Mr Adoke in the guise of seeking evidence to indict him.
“After turning up with nothing in Kano, now the EFCC wants to conduct another dramatic campaign in Okene for the cameras, and we are certain that like the previous raids which turned up nothing, no incriminating document or item would be found in the premises in Okene or anywhere else for that matter because no such document exist.
“Mr Adoke has made it clear times without number that on the Malabu matter, he only acted as directed by the former president, H.E Goodluck Jonathan, and in the best interest of the country. He did not enrich himself or anyone through the course of the transaction, which had been concluded long before he assumed office. He completed his brief to the best of his abilities and knowledge, and has since moved on.
“However, for whatever reasons, the EFCC appears to have a different opinion on the Malabu issue and has made the harassment of Mr Adoke, his family and associates their past time, without providing any proof of wrongdoing.
“We wish to warn that Mr Adoke would no longer take this harassment of his family and serial invasions of his homes lying low and will now seek all legal means to enforce his rights, including asking for damages. He will also petition international human rights organisations, the UN and other international groups to intimate them of the wilful abuse of his rights by the EFCC.”
Photo: Dan Etete, former Petroleum Minister who was fingered in the deal