Alleged mosque demolition: Sharia Council demands compensation from gov. Wike
Following alleged demolition of a mosque by Rivers State Governor, Nyeson Wike, in Trans-Amadi area of Port Harcourt, the State capital, the Supreme Council for Shari’ah in Nigeria (SCSN) has the immediate payment of compensation for the reconstruction of the mosque.
Secretary-General of the Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria, Sheikh Nafiu Baba-Ahmad disclosed this during a conference on Tuesday.
Baba-Ahmad noted that such compensation will go a long way in dousing likely political and religious tension across the nation, over the alleged demolition.
The group also called on political leaders to be conscious of how they handle religious issues and unguarded statements.
They called on political leaders to promote policies and programmes that will consolidate ethno- religious harmony in the country.
Governor Wike had earlier in reaction to the allegation demolition said there was no Mosque on the ground, hence nothing was demolished.
According to him, the report of the demolition is the ‘false Information planted by mischief makers to create disaffection.’
Baba-Ahmad added: “While we condemn Governor Wike’s desperate wickedness, we also call on all relevant executive and legislative organs of the Federal Government to wake up to their responsibilities and nip this unnecessary and wholesome development (in the bud) before it escalates into an avoidable reciprocation, with obvious unpredictable negative consequences”.
“All that needs to be said on the issue relating to the purchase price, title to the land, building/planning approvals and court actions have been explained earlier in statements and conferences by other responsible Muslims and Islamic organisations.”
He explained that some persons started erecting illegal foundation at the disputed land, even though they had no approval to embark on any construction work.