Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Alleged passport scam in UK: Immigration probes Embassy officials
  • National News

Alleged passport scam in UK: Immigration probes Embassy officials

Admin November 28, 2017

Nigerian passport

Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) says it has begun investigation into alleged extortion of international passport applicants at Nigerian High Commission in the UK.

Spokesman of the NIS, Mr Sunday James, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

James, who said the agency’s attention had been drawn to a viral video of some Nigerians protesting against the alleged extortion at the High Commission, added that “the protesters alleged that some officials of the High Commission are unduly surcharging them for passport issuance.

“It has become necessary to state that payment for passports are done online and so nobody is expected to come to the High Commission with cash, let alone any case of extortion.

“In the meantime, machineries have been put in place to unravel the veracity of the allegation.”

He advised Nigerian passport applicants in the UK and other parts of the world to formally report any form of extortion through immigrationspro@gmail.com, nis.servicom@nigeriaimmigration.gov.ng call +2347080607900.

The NIS spokesman cautioned against the use of abusive language by protesters which he said was capable of tarnishing the image of the country.

He added that “it is important to follow due process of presenting grievances concerning wrong doings or poor service delivery.

“The Comptroller General of Immigration wishes to use this medium to appeal to Nigerians to always endeavour to report any known case of poor service delivery for appropriate investigation and possible sanctions.”

In recent time, allegations of extortion have trailed the issuance of passports by embassy officials in the UK and some other parts of Europe. Applicants cite non-availability of booklets as the chief excuse given by officials at these embassies to extort cash from them.

In the case of UK, the protesters who videoed their action alleged that officials at the embassy collect cash money without issuing receipts.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Buhari orders Probe of Gwarzo, SEC, DG over allegations of fraud, cronyism
Next Investment analyst advises CBN to reduce lending rate to 12 per cent

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.