Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Bayelsa Poll: Commission of Inquiry to Probe Mayhem, We’re Vindicated, Says PDP
  • National News

Bayelsa Poll: Commission of Inquiry to Probe Mayhem, We’re Vindicated, Says PDP

Admin December 7, 2015

DicksonGovernor of Bayelsa State, Hon. Seriake Dickson, has said he would constitute a Judicial Commission of Inquiry to investigate the mayhem that trailed the governorship election Southern Ijaw local government area of the state. He disclosed this while fielding questions from journalists. This came in the wake of the cancellation of the election in the local government by INEC which cited violence and over-voting among other misdeeds. The governor said he will inaugurate the Commission this week.

Meantime, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Bayelsa State has reacted to the decision by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to cancel the rescheduled election in Southern Ijaw LGA, describing it as a vindication of its earlier position that conducting the said election as INEC did was a wrong decision on account of security concerns in the area.

The PDP in a statement issued on Monday night by the Director of Publicity of the Restoration Campaign Organisation, Jonathan Obuebite, said before the election was conducted it had informed INEC and security agencies that the whole of Southern Ijaw had been taken over by thugs.

The take-over, the party said, was with the support of the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) who, he claimed, were receiving direct instruction from Abuja to ensure that the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Timipre Sylva was declared winner, adding “our advice was ignored.”

Obuebite stated that the PDP was for a free, fair and credible election and as such election in Southern Ijaw must be conducted in an atmosphere that could guarantee the participation of the people without let or hindrance and ensure its credibility.

According to him, as at 4pm on Sunday, election materials were still being distributed and wondered how such process could lead to a transparent election, adding that it was an orchestrated plan to rig the election as voting went on in the dark.

Obuebite said the situation also afforded political thugs to infiltrate the polling units snatching ballot boxes, intimidating voters under the supervision of the military amidst general apathy.

The PDP accused INEC, the police and army of colluding with the APC to rig the election, stressing that all that happened in Southern Ijaw last Sunday was co-ordinated by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Engr. Babachir David Lawal, with the aim of deflating the majority votes of Governor Dickson and then announce APC flag bearer, Timipre Sylva, as the winner.

Dickson was announced by INEC to have won 7 of the 8 LGs in the state with a margin of 33.000 and has thus fulfilled constitutional requirement of 2/3 spread and popular votes but without Southern Ijaw as the only LG remaining.

Obuebite further said that in a manner to perfect the rigging plan, the state commissioner of police and head of the Directorate of State Security (DSS ) were randomly changed ahead of the election.

He said, “Before now, we know that the SGF was coordinating the whole rigging plan and we alerted President MuhammaduBuhari and the public. They know they cannot win without rigging through violence and the whole world have seen what happened on Sunday. It was a rape of democracy. There was a premeditated effort on a multiple level of conspiracy to rig this election, involving INEC, army and the police.

“It is true that a top army officer, one major Sanni, gave election materials to APC members at three polling units and zoomed off with his team, throwing the whole place into turmoil to allow APC have advantage. Of course, APC leaders have all along been saying it everywhere that they will to use federal might and they tried but failed.”

The PDP called on President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure the rerun election in Southern Ijaw is conducted under a violence-free atmosphere whenever it is rescheduled, stating that his integrity as well known was being damaged by those it said were close to him.

“Except we have a truly secured environment, the situation will continue to be like that and that will not only damage PresidentBuhari’s image locally and internationally but puts democracy and the people at risk”, the party said.

Obuebite justified the cancellation thus: “In a situation where so many people had even ran away from home on account of insecurity having been traumatized the previous day and others still seeing a repeat scourge of violence, it ran against good conscience and judgement to say you are conducting election in that kind of atmosphere thereby disenfranchising a lot of people in a crucial election. This is against the spirit and letters of democracy and we accordingly condemn this charade in totality.

“What the people want is a free, fair and credible election and in this respect, the process must be above board. They had a hidden agenda but the good people of Bayelsa State will continue to resist such evil tendency”.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar recommended

Post navigation

Previous N123m Cooperative Fraud Lands Three in EFCC Net, Court Remands Trio in Prison Custody
Next Count Me Out of the Social Media Gag Bill, Buhari Tells Nigerians

Related Stories

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.