Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Belgian court bans deportation of Sudanese migrants
  • International News

Belgian court bans deportation of Sudanese migrants

Admin October 10, 2017

A Belgian court on Monday ordered a halt to the deportation of around two-dozen Sudanese migrants following an uproar over Belgium’s invitation to officials from Khartoum to identify them.
The Belgian government has said it will challenge the ban issued by a court in Liege amid fears the migrants risked being mistreated back in Sudan.
Sudanese officials visited Belgium last month to help identify the migrants, prompting the League of Human Rights (LDH) to accuse Brussels of collaborating with “one of the worst dictatorships” in the world.
The LDH said there were “serious grounds” to believe that the deportation of the migrants to Sudan would expose them to mistreatment by the government in Khartoum.
The court said the Belgian government “is banned from repatriating” 26 Sudanese migrants “to Sudan or to any other EU member state,” according to a court statement.
The court said it would enforce the measure with a “fine of 20 000 euros.”
Belgian officials said one Sudanese was deported on Friday, while others refused to board the plane, a spokesperson for the Belgian immigration office, Dominique Ernould, said.
“They are all terrorised by the idea of returning to Sudan,” the LDH said.
Hundreds of Sudanese were arrested in Belgium, but only a handful have been able to consult a lawyer, the LDH said. Up to 46 people could be deported. News24

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Gov. Ortom fails Benue workers
Next Panic as MonkeyPox disease hits Lagos; Govt sues for caution

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.