Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Court dismisses Kanu’s suit asking Army to produce him in court
  • National News

Court dismisses Kanu’s suit asking Army to produce him in court

Admin January 26, 2018

January 26, 2018

The Federal High Court, Abuja, has dismissed an application filed by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB), praying the court to order the Chief of Army Staff to produce him in court.

Justice Binta Nyako, delivering ruling on the application on Friday, said that Kanu had failed to prove to the court that he was last seen in the company of the army or any soldier.

“The applicant has not placed enough evidence before the court to show that he was last seen with the Nigerian Army. There is no where in the application where the applicant has shown that he was last seen with even a soldier,’’ Justice Nyako held

According to her, the application failed and has thus been dismissed.

Nyako noted that Kanu filed the application himself and wondered how a person who was said to be missing could have done so.

Mr Ifeanyi Ejiofor, counsel to Kanu sought to know what to do to ensure that his client attended court on the next adjourned date.

But the judge said that as far as the court was concerned, his client was on bail and should be present in court on the next adjourned date to stand his criminal trial.

She said the reason for bail was to ensure that the person attended court proceedings adding that the sureties who deposed to the fact that Kanu will attend court should produce him in court.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that Kanu had in 2017, filed an application praying the court to order the Chief of Army Staff to produce him in court.

Kanu was specifically seeking an order of “Habeas Corpus ”, asking those detaining him to bring him to court.

Kanu’s application was predicated on the grounds that he was the leader of IPOB and had been missing after the Nigerian Army invaded his house in Sept. 2017.

“The applicant is the leader of IPOB, a group largely made up of people from South-Eastern part of the country.

“On Sept.14, 2017, the Nigerian Military led by soldiers of the Nigerian Army invaded the applicant’s house on a murderous raid, where life and mortar bullets were fired on unarmed and defenceless populace, leaving 28 persons dead and abducting many.

“The applicant, who was in the house during this bloody onslaught by the Soldiers, has not been heard from or seen after this bloody attack in his home by the army.

The substantive criminal suit against Kanu was adjourned until Feb. 20.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Army court Kanu

Post navigation

Previous Power Africa partners Ibadan DISCO to improve access to electricity
Next 2019 Elections: Oyo REC warns staff against electoral malpractices

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.