Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • COVID-19: Africa has 19,000 cases, 4,416 recoveries, 991 deaths
  • National News

COVID-19: Africa has 19,000 cases, 4,416 recoveries, 991 deaths

Admin April 18, 2020

Covid-19..Medics at work

Covid-19..Medics at work

The World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo, says the number of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Africa has risen to over 19,000. Compared to Europe and America, Africa has not done badly in the management of the pandemic.

The UN’s health agency gave the update on its official twitter account @WHOAFRO on Saturday.

“Over 19,000 COVID-19 cases reported on the African continent – with 4,416 recoveries and 991 deaths recorded.’’

The breakdown on the WHO African Region COVID-19 dashboard showed that South Africa, Algeria and Cameroon had continued to top the list of countries with the highest reported cases.

South Africa has 2,783 cases and 50 deaths followed by Algeria with 2,418 cases and 364 deaths, while Cameroon has 1,016 confirmed cases with 21 deaths.

According to the dashboard, South Sudan, Sao Tome and Principe, Burundi and Mauritania still remain countries with lowest confirmed cases in the region.

It showed that South Sudan and Sao Tome and Principe were the lowest confirmed cases, which had four cases each with zero death.

Burundi was second country with lowest confirmed cases with five reported cases and zero death.

Mauritania in the third category with lowest cases as the country had recorded seven confirmed cases with one death.

Also, the dashboard showed that COVID-19 cases had risen to 373 confirmed cases with 11 deaths in Nigeria.

Abba Kyari, the Chief of staff to President Muhammadu Buhari is one of the deaths of COVID-19.

The deceased had tested positive to the ravaging COVID-19, and had been receiving treatment in Lagos where he was said to have died on Friday, April 17, 2020.

Kyari, 67, was the highest-profile COVID-19 death in the West African country, which has 493 confirmed cases and 17 deaths, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. (NAN)

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Africa Covid-19 WHO

Post navigation

Previous Buhari pours encomiums on Abba Kyari, says “he was the very best of us’’
Next Outrage as Gov. Umahi arrests Sun reporter

Related Stories

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
Wike orders demolition of 30 buildings constructed on road corridor 
  • National News

Wike orders demolition of 30 buildings constructed on road corridor 

August 20, 2026
Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA
  • National News

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister
  • National News

2026 intervention programme: TETFund allocates N2.53bn to tertiary institutions  – Information minister

August 20, 2026
Wike orders demolition of 30 buildings constructed on road corridor 
  • National News

Wike orders demolition of 30 buildings constructed on road corridor 

August 20, 2026
AFRICA-FX-Ghana’s currency back under pressure, Uganda’s on front foot KIA
  • Business & Economy

AFRICA-FX-Ghana’s currency back under pressure, Uganda’s on front foot

August 20, 2026
Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA
  • National News

Sokoto boat mishap claims 41 lives, 11 rescued — NIWA

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.