Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • DSS investigating list of cleared ministerial nominees
  • Breaking News

DSS investigating list of cleared ministerial nominees

Admin August 2, 2019

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari

In what looked like an aberration, the Department of State Services (DSS) is at the moment investigating the 43 ministerial nominees after they were cleared by the Senate. This is the reason for the delay in assigning the new ministers portfolios by President Muhammadu Buhari.

A Presidency source told Political Economist that Buhari had been upbeat about the calibre of persons in the list and is excitedly looking forward to working with them.

It was gathered that the nominees were not cleared by the security agencies before their names were forwarded to the Senate. Asked if this was not a case of putting the cart before the horse, the source said the constitution did not provide for which comes first: security clearance or Senate clearance.

President Buhari had hinted that he would assign portfolios only when the ministers were formally inaugurated.

Against the backdrop of criticisms that the President would have assigned portfolios to the ministers before sending their names to the Senate, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang, had justified the refusal of President Buhari to assign portfolios to the list of ministerial nominees he forwarded to the Senate last week.

According to Enang, the Nigerian constitution did not mandate the President to do so, adding the issue has continued to crop up every four years since 1999.

Over the years, lawmakers and members of the  public have continued to demand that the President attaches portfolios of his ministerial nominees when forwarding his list to the Senate for screening.

But Enang said the President did not breach any law by not attaching portfolios to his list.

He said: “The 1999 Constitution says that the President shall appoint persons as ministers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria subject to confirmation of the Senate

“The constitution did not oblige the President or a governor to attach a ministry or a portfolio in his nominations to the legislature.

“The reason is that the candidate is screened and cleared as a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; he is not cleared as a Minister of Education or Minister of Health or Industry.

“And of course portfolios may change and the structure of government may not be the same as it were. Again, when a Minister is screened and cleared, he is assigned a portfolio.

“It may arise in the course of his assignment that the President or the Governor may decide to reassign him to another ministry. If you assign and the person is screened and in respect of that portfolio, that means the President may have to send the name again back to the Senate for screening or for confirmation.

“That is why the constitution did not make it mandatory to assign portfolios while sending the list to the legislature. Therefore the President has not done anything wrong, “ he said.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: DSS ministerial nominees president muhammadu buhari senator ita enang

Post navigation

Previous NUPENG threatens strike over Chevron staffing dispute
Next NNPC to partner with Turkey beyond crude oil – Kyari

Related Stories

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert
  • Breaking News

FCTA confirms 8 rabies cases, 2 deaths, issues alert

July 15, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband Police
  • Crime and Justice

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband

August 17, 2026
Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.