Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Sports
  • Egypt’s prosecutor to probe missing AFCON trophy
  • International News
  • Sports

Egypt’s prosecutor to probe missing AFCON trophy

Admin September 9, 2020
CAF Champions league

CAF logo

The sports ministry said Wednesday it has referred a probe into a missing African Cup of Nations (AFCON) trophy which Egypt has possessed since 2010 to the prosecutor general after a string of explosive allegations.

“The ministry of youth and sports has referred the file of the loss of some important silverware from the warehouses of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) to the prosecutor general,” it said in a brief statement on its Facebook page.

The investigation was launched last week when celebrated ex-national goalkeeper Ahmed Shobair said the EFA found that the gold trophy, along with other awards from previous tournaments, had gone missing.

Officials were preparing to inaugurate a museum showcasing Egypt’s football memorabilia in time for the EFA’s centenary when the loss was realised, Shobair said on his popular talkshow.

Another former football hero Magdy Abdelghani, along with the EFA, waded into the debate suggesting ex-national team players and coaches Ahmed Hassan and Shawky Gharib knew of the 2010 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) trophy’s whereabouts.

But former football officials said it was looted during a fire in 2013 caused by protesters, known as the Ultras, at the EFA headquarters in Cairo.

The accusations prompted the sports ministry and EFA to kick off investigations that have been closely monitored by Egypt’s legions of fervent football fans.

Hassan and Gharib have both dismissed any link to the disappearance.

The continent’s football governing body, the Confederation of African Football, said Sunday it had “learnt with shock reports of missing AFCON trophies from the Egyptian Football Association secretariat”.

“Our doors are open and the @EFA can count on our support in the search for the priceless memorabilia,” it tweeted.

Egypt was allowed to keep the trophy on a permanent basis — with a new cup made — after the dominant run of the “Pharaohs”, as the national team is known, winning three titles in a row, in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

Egypt is the most successful country in Africa Cup of Nations history, having won the trophy a total of seven times since 1957.

But the Pharaohs were knocked out at the last-16 stage last year when Egypt hosted the biennial tournament.

AFP

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: AFCON Ahmed hassan EFA Shawky Gharib

Post navigation

Previous Vaccine trials: Temporary suspensions ‘not unusual’ – WHO 
Next Interpol investigates Sahara Energy billion dollars transfers to Isle of Man in 2016

Related Stories

NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot
  • Sports

NFF Sacks Falcons’ Coaching Staff After WAFCON Disaster & Missing Historic World Cup Spot

August 17, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
NPFL–Murphy Ben International Deal: Meet The YouTube Powerhouse Behind The Partnership
  • Sports

NPFL–Murphy Ben International Deal: Meet The YouTube Powerhouse Behind The Partnership

August 15, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July federal government
  • Business & Economy

Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July

August 18, 2026
Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja
  • National News

Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.