Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Enugu tanker explosion: Death toll rises to 23 as 2 more victims die – FRSC
  • National News

Enugu tanker explosion: Death toll rises to 23 as 2 more victims die – FRSC

Admin February 4, 2025
vehicular movement

FRSC

Feb. 4, 2025

The death toll from the tanker explosion on Ugwu-Onyeama axis of the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway has risen from 21 to 23 as confirmed by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).

The Sector Commander of the FRSC, Enugu State Command, Mr Franklin Agbakoba, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Tuesday that an additional two female victims died recently while in hospital admission.

The incident, which occurred on Jan. 25, at about 11:30 a.m. when a fuel-laden tanker had a brake failure, fell and exploded, left 11 road users dead before emergency responders arrived at the scene.

The deceased were evacuated by the FRSC officers after officials of the Enugu State Fire Service extinguished the inferno while the injured were taken to hospitals within Enugu for treatment.

The death toll rose to 18 persons after a day of the incident and 21 after four days and now 23 persons.

Agbakoba said that the additional two victims – one being admitted at the UNTH Ituku-Ozalla and another being admitted at the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu – could not make it after battling to live for about a week.

According to him, out of the five admitted in UNTH six days ago, one died at the end of the month and one female still on admission.

“The remaining three patients in UNTH who are of the same family, sought to be  discharged even against medical advice, they were relocated from the teaching hospital to seek traditional medical treatment for their injuries at home,” he said.

For the five victims of the accident admitted in ESUTH Teaching Hospital, Parklane, Enugu, six days ago, Agbakoba said that three of the female victims are still on admission at the hospital.

“Two of the admitted patients in ESUTH Teaching Hospital have been referred to the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu due to fire burn wounds,” he said.

He said that for the three victims admitted at the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu six days ago, one died recently and the remaining two survivors had been joined by one victim on referral from ESUTH Teaching Hospital.

“However, one of the two patients involved in the accident referred to the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu from ESUTH Teaching Hospital, left and did not report to where he was recently refered to,” he said.

Agbakoba, who is also a Corps Commander, had earlier disclosed that the incident involved 44 persons as well as 16 vehicles, both commercial, private and a commercial tricycle.

He said that 23 persons, which included eight males and 15 females, were injured in the accident and rushed to three major government hospitals in Enugu namely: UNTH Ituku-Ozalla; ESUTH Teaching Hospital and National Orthopedic Hospital. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: ESUTH FRSC Mr Franklin Agbakoba Ugwu Onyeama

Post navigation

Previous NAPTIP hands over 21 trafficked minors to Niger Government
Next Shell reports oil spill in Nigeria after saver pit overflows

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze
  • Politics

12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.