Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Ezekwesili lauds Lafarge for improving education with literacy competition
  • National News

Ezekwesili lauds Lafarge for improving education with literacy competition

Admin November 17, 2017

November 17, 2017

Dr Oby Ezekwesili, a former Minister of Education, on Friday lauded the Lafarge Africa National Literacy Competition aimed at improving education standards in the country.

Ezekwesili made the commendation at the 2017 Lafarge Africa National Literacy Competition held in Lagos.

Ezekwesili also hailed the company for focusing the initiative on public primary schools.

She called on the private and public sectors including religious organisations to team up and develop education in Nigeria

Ezekwesili said that human beings could become a liability if poorly educated.

Mr Mobolaji Balogun, the Chairman of Lafarge Africa, said that the country’s literacy level for people aged 15 years and above was 59.6 per cent.

Balogun said that the figure was below the global average of 86.3 per cent and the sub-Saharan African average of 64 per cent.

He said that interventions such as the Lafarge National Literacy Competition would help to improve the situation.

The chairman urged all stakeholders in education to devote more time and resources to improve its quality.

Mr Michel Puchercos, the company’s Chief Executive Officer, applauded the finalists for putting up good performances throughout the competition.

“For an initiative that started as a reading project across the five locations where Lafarge Africa is present, the competition has grown into a national event.

“Our overall target is to lay a solid foundation for improving the literacy level across the country”, Michel said.

Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, the Lafarge Director of Communications, Public Affairs and Sustainable Development, said, “The competition seeks to touch lives of our diverse people in a sustainable way.”

Ambrose-Medebem said that Lafarge Africa was pleased with the positive impact made by the competition since 2014 when it started.

According to her, more than 2,700 pupils in public primary schools took part in the competition, while more than 300,000 pupils in 244 local government areas had been positively impacted on by the competition.

She noted that the competition was one of the initiatives of the company to support government efforts in raising the standard of English Language in public primary schools.

According to her, the initiative is in line with the company’s 2030 sustainability strategy plan with the aim of enhancing the quality of life for all.

She said that the competition targeted pupils from nine years old to 13 years old.

Ambrose-Medebem said that competition was organised with support from state Universal Basic Education Boards and the Ovie Brume Foundation – Lafarge Africa’s implementation partner.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Edo emerged winners of the 2017 Lafarge National Literacy Competition.

Ondo emerged second while Kano and Gombe secured third and fourth positions, respectively.

The other finalists are Plateau, Anambra, and Gombe.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous FRC commences physical verification of 43 FG capital projects across the nation
Next Umahi admits irregularities in first appointment of attorney-general’s appointment

Related Stories

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.