Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • FG begins demolition of illegal fences under Lagos bridges to prevent abuse, damage
  • National News

FG begins demolition of illegal fences under Lagos bridges to prevent abuse, damage

Admin January 3, 2020
january

Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola

Minister of works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola

 

The Federal Government on Friday began demolition of illegal fences under some bridges in Lagos.

The demolition exercise began with a fence of about 250 metres built under the descent of the Apongbon Bridge on the CMS-bound carriageway on Lagos Island.

The fence which was still under construction had been raised by seven to eight coaches on various sections.

Some officials wearing the tags of “Toll Royalty Car Park Technologies“ came out to challenge the process but were told by the engineer supervising the team to visit the Federal Ministry of Works.

Mrs Musiliat Aloba, a Senior Engineer in the ministry who led a team of engineers and security operatives on the exercise, said that she was acting on instruction to ensure that under the bridges were visible.

“I am not directed to speak to anyone. Please come to the Federal Ministry of Works,’’ she said.

The team went further to demolish fences concealing about 300 metres under the Obalende/Apongbon Flyover Bridge on the CMS-bound carriageway.

The team also demolished another set of fences metres away under the same Obalende/Apongbon Flyover Bridge.

However, there was misunderstanding with the commencement of demolition of fences under the Ramp of the CMS Bridge which was nearing completion on some sections.

Some workmen on site who tried to resist the demolition argued that it was a legal project which had approval.

Aloba explained her assignment insisting that “nothing must block under the bridges’’.

“When you conceal the bridge, nobody can see what happens under. The Federal Government has lost so much money due to burnt bridges,’’ she explained.

Extension of the fences being constructed to link the CMS Bus Stop foot bridge was also demolished.

Responding to the exercise, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Adedamola Kuti told NAN on telephone that the removal of illegal structures under bridges was a continuous exercise.

Kuti explained that the ministry began the demolition in 2018, saying that it was aimed as safeguarding the bridges from all forms of abuses causing damage to them.

He debunked claims by some people who said they had approval to build structures under any bridge in Lagos State.

“Under the bridges belong to the Federal Government and the Federal Ministry of Works ordered the demolition of illegal structures under the bridges in Lagos,’’ he said.

Kuti said demolition of other illegal structures under bridges where notices had been served in the past would soon begin.

“It is an ongoing exercise to protect our bridges from abuse and damage,’’ Kuti said. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Adedamola Kuti CMS Musiliat Aloba

Post navigation

Previous LG inauguration: I stand by my decision- Makinde
Next Oil Bunkering: Nigerian Navy hands over 57 Nigerians, 9 foreigners to EFCC

Related Stories

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.