Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • FG probes death of 26 Nigerian girls in the Mediterranean Sea, autopsy reveals no sexual violation
  • National News

FG probes death of 26 Nigerian girls in the Mediterranean Sea, autopsy reveals no sexual violation

Admin November 18, 2017

A recent rescue operation

The Federal Government has set up a cabinet committee to investigate the circumstances of the death of 26 teenage Nigerian migrant girls found dead in the Mediterranean in early November.

A Presidency official, who preferred to remain anonymous, confirmed this development on Friday in Abuja, in a reaction to allegations that the government had not reacted to the death of the girls believed to have drowned at sea.

The official stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had kept it sights on the issue and had briefed the Presidency on a regular basis since the time the tragic incident came to limelight.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that committee which is being chaired by the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General, Abubakar Malami, has the ministers of Women Affairs, Youths, Foreign Affairs and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and the Diaspora, Mrs Ebike Dabiri-Erewa as members

According to the official, the committee is expected to also examine the reports of incidents of the sale of Nigerian citizens through slavery and report to the Federal Executive Council within week.

When contacted, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, confirmed the inauguration of the committee.

The bodies of the Nigerian migrant girls, aged between 14 and 18, were brought to the southern Italian port of Salerno by the Spanish ship Cantabria on Nov. 3.

The girls were initially believed to have been abused and killed.

However, autopsies on the bodies of the girls, the result of which was released on Friday, indicated that the girls died from drowning after the dinghies they were travelling in sank.

NAN gathered that already arrests had been made by the Italian government in connection with the ugly incident while Italy’s southern city of Salerno held a mass funeral for 26 young Nigerian girls.

A Roman Catholic bishop and a Muslim Imam both said prayers at the simple ceremony in the southern city of Salerno, with 26 wooden coffins laid out on a stone dais.

Reports indicated that only two of the girls were identified.

“It is very likely that these girls were victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation,” said Federico Soda, director UN migration agency for the Mediterranean.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous After Buhari’s visit, former Ebonyi Gov, Elechi, 6,000 others ditch PDP for APC, accuse Umahi of insensitivity
Next Lecturer commits suicide after downgrade of appointment; suffered depression before death

Related Stories

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
  • National News

Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language

August 20, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.