Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Iran will not surrender to U.S. pressures – Rouhani
  • International News

Iran will not surrender to U.S. pressures – Rouhani

Admin May 16, 2018

President Hassan Rouhani of Iran

May 16, 2018

President Hassan Rouhani of Iran

Iran will not surrender to U.S. pressures, President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday, a day after Washington imposed new sanctions on following its withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

 “They think they can make the Iranian nation surrender by putting pressures on Iran, by sanctions and even threats of war…
“The Iranian nation will resist against the U.S. plots,” Rouhani was quoted as saying by the ISNA news agency.
Iran also that new sanctions imposed on it by Washington were an attempt to derail efforts to save the 2015 nuclear deal by its remaining signatories following the U.S. withdrawal from the accord.
The U.S. Treasury on Tuesday imposed sanctions on Iran’s central bank governor, three other individuals and an Iraq-based bank, a week after U.S. President Donald Trump abandoned the deal Iran signed with world powers to curb its nuclear program.
Related CoverageIran has described the sanctions as illegal and has warned that if talks to rescue the accord fail, it would ramp up its nuclear program to a level more advanced than before.

“With such destructive measures, the American government is trying to influence the will and decision of the remaining signatories of the JCPOA (nuclear agreement),” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted as saying by Fars news agency.

British, French and German foreign ministers met in Brussels on Tuesday to see how they can save the nuclear deal without the U. S., but appeared hard-pressed over how their companies could continue doing business with Iran once Washington begins to reimpose sanctions.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif said the meeting had been a good start, but he wanted to see guarantees materialize.

European powers on Monday vowed to keep the 2015 nuclear deal alive without the U. S. by trying to keep Iran’s oil and investment flowing, but admitted they would struggle to provide the guarantees Tehran seeks.

The deal between Iran and six world powers lifted most international sanctions in 2016 in return for Tehran curbing its nuclear programme, under strict surveillance by the UN nuclear watchdog.
On May 8,  President Donald Trump abandoned the pact he branded “the worst deal ever” and reimposed U.S. sanctions on Iran.
  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: 2015 nuclear deal. Bahram Qasemi Iran Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif President Hassan Rouhani Tehran U.S. President Donald Trump

Post navigation

Previous Onolememen tasks media, CSOs to expose “electoral corruption”
Next Metropolitan Networks Promises Cutting- Edge IT Solutions in Nigeria

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD
  • National News

TETFUND awards N53m research grants to FUD

August 18, 2026
Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores Kano
  • National News

Kano govt. bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

August 18, 2026
Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July federal government
  • Business & Economy

Statutory Revenue Jumps 17.8% as FAAC Distributes N3.007 Trillion to FG, States, LGs in July

August 18, 2026
Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja
  • National News

Flood: Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways in Abuja

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.