Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Kaduna Attack: Death Toll Now 130 …Gov. Alleges Deliberate Plan to Wipe Out Certain Communities
  • National News

Kaduna Attack: Death Toll Now 130 …Gov. Alleges Deliberate Plan to Wipe Out Certain Communities

Admin February 19, 2019

Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai

 

Governor Nasir el-Rufai

 

Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has alleged deliberate plan to wipe out some communities in the state as he  police continue to dig into this matter to make arrests.

El- Rufai made the allegation on Tuesday while briefing State House correspondents after an expanded meeting called by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The governor, who was reacting to recent attacks in some communities in Kajuru local government, said the death toll has risen to 130, up from the 66 he earlier announced last week, adding that the motive appeared to be ethnic.

According to Premium Times report, the governor said based on the security briefing he received on Monday, some arrests have been made and some of those arrested will be arraigned in court.

“The arrests continue because the more the police dig into this matter, the more it is clear that there was a deliberate plan to wipe out certain communities”.

“It is not accidental, it is not spontaneous, it is a plan, it is akin to genocide and the more the police dig into the matter, more arrest will be made and the suspects are being prosecuted,” he said.

On whether there is a political undertone to the killings which are coming a few days to the general elections, Mr El- Rufai said he would not speculate.

He said as the chief security officer of the state, “a crime is a crime. The motive, the undertone doesn’t border me. There may be, there may be not.

“Whether it is political or not, when you kill someone, it is my duty to prosecute you for homicide. When you destroy property, it is my duty to prosecute you for the destruction of property. If you engage in hate speech, it is my duty to ensure that you are prosecuted for injurious falsehood and incitement.

“So, we are not looking at undertones, people can attribute political motives to it. But as a government, we have no such doctrine. We have to just prosecute everyone on equal opportunity basis.”

On the allegations that no killings took place in the state and that he merely fabricated the news, the governor said, “I think that anybody that is still questioning whether these attacks took place or not is being grossly irresponsible.”

“I think as the governor of the state, and everyone knows me and my records of public service. I would not be irresponsible enough to stand before the media and say something has happened that has not happened. I don’t work based on telephone calls or rumours”.

“As governor of the state, the first thing I receive every morning is a security briefing on what happens in the last 24 hours. That is the first thing I read and I ask questions and I work on the basis of security briefings from the experts, the Garrison Commander, the commissioner of police, the head of the air force”.

“We have every security agency in Kaduna state and they send me briefings including the DSS. I work only on that basis. Anybody that wants to contradict what I said should have superior information and it is impossible for you other than the president of the country to have superior information than I have about my state”.

“So, people are being grossly irresponsible, I don’t know what their agenda is. But I know there is a prevailing narrative in the Nigerian media that only certain lives are more important than others”.

“We see that clearly in the slant of reporting and the denial. The fact that you are still asking me these questions two days after we have proved beyond all doubts that all those people claiming that this didn’t happen, they first said I lied, that it didn’t happen, then they started saying, no, the numbers are not what they are”.

“And now, what we are hearing, in the last report we got is that, over 130 people were killed not even 66. And the Fulani leaders are providing the names of all these people, we have the list and we will release it to the press,” he said.

The governor said he also has pictures of the people killed and how the army had to be there to help bury them two days after they were killed because the bodies were decomposing.

“But some people are being irresponsible, they are pretending this has not happened because it does not fit their ethnic or partisan narrative. It is totally irresponsible because this can happen to any one of us”.

“And the day we stop sanctifying human lives, the day we begin to think that one life is more important for headlines than another, this country is finished, because, every human being has equal capacity for good and evil. And part of the reason why I went out and was appealing for calm is because I know that those that lost their relations can take the law into their own hands unless they see that the government is doing something,” he said

He added that the police commissioner in Kaduna state, Ahmad Abdulrahman, is rushing to court to arraign the suspects arrested so as to send a message that those who carried out the attack are being prosecuted and to pass the message to people not to take the laws into their own hands.

“Everyone is capable of retaliation, it is not a matter of pride, in a civilised society, for you to say I can retaliate or I am retaliating or this is a reprisal attack. I am surprised that some people, even people mention that with pride, that these people were killed so, we did the reprisal attacks and they are still walking the streets”.

 

 

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Ahmad Abdulrahman Kajuru local government Muhammadu Buhar nasir el rufai

Post navigation

Previous Electoral offences: We’ll be guided by law, not Buhari’s directive – INEC Chairman
Next Smart Card Readers: 95% Configuration Achieved- INEC

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.