Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Kogi attack: Death toll rises to 25, many still missing – Community leader
  • National News

Kogi attack: Death toll rises to 25, many still missing – Community leader

Admin April 6, 2024
Kogi vs EFCC

Kogi State

April 6, 2024

Chief Elias Atabor, the Leader of Agojeju-Odo community in Kogi, has urged the Federal Government to establish a military base in Omala Local Government Area to checkmate bandits’ incessant attacks on the people.

Atabor made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lokoja on Friday.

“We are so worried that the death toll keeps rising by the hour.” he said.

The community leader made the call when it was discovered that the death toll of Thursday’s attack on the Kogi community attack rose from 19 to 25.

The figure included four children, while several persons were being hospitalised.

But retired Commodore Jerry Omodara, Special Adviser on Security to Gov. Usman Ododo, said the death toll had risen to 21, with more being discovered by the hour.

Atabor said: “We are pleading with the Federal Government to bring to our community a military base that will help us to checkmate the incessant attacks in our communities in Omala LGA.

“Thursday’s attack is the second in less than three months this year alone. The first was on Jan. 29 when four persons where killed by bandits

“We cannot continue dying like fowls in our own community. Agojeju-Odo is our ancestral home and we have no other place to go beside it

“Many of our people are still missing and we are still discovering more corpses. It’s painful and worrying.

“Government should come to our aide and save us before those bandits, who are sophisticatedly armed to wipe us out from this Earth.”

The leader said that the communities, Agojeju-Odo, Ajokpachi-Odo and Bagaji had become ghost towns with no economic activity going on due to the attacks.

According to him, their children can not have the desired education because virtually all the schools in those communities are closed down.

He expressed gratitude to Gov Usman Ododo and the security operatives for their immediate response by deploying personnel to the troubled communities..

Also, a community stakeholder, Mr. Ademu Ibrahim, urged President Bola Tinubu and Gov. Ododo to assist the communities’ members with some relief materials, having lost their farm produce to the bandits.

He described the attacks as “wicked and unacceptable”, considering the way and manners the bandits were killing the people.

Ibrahim said there had been a running battle between militia groups in parts of Benue and some bandits, which led to the onslaught on the quiet towns of Agojeju-Odo, Ajokpachi-Odo, Bagaji and environs.

According to him, the bandits have destroyed farm produce with ease in an attempt to draw the communities into the conflict.

NAN reports that 19 persons were killed and several others injured during the Thursday’s broad day light bandits attack on Agojeju-Odo community in Omala Local Government Area of Kogi. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Agojeju-Odo Agojeju-Odo community Ajokpachi-Odo Bagaji Bola Tinubu Chief Elias Atabor Mr. Ademu Ibrahim

Post navigation

Previous IGP approves posting of Deputy Force PRO, PPROs
Next Over 50,000 Nigerian Pilgrims to perform 2024 Hajj – NAHCON

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.