Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Lagos to appeal court order halting demolition of Otodo Gbame waterfront
  • National News

Lagos to appeal court order halting demolition of Otodo Gbame waterfront

Admin June 27, 2017

Lagos state government has rejected a High Court ruling that it stop a program of evictions on the city’s waterfront that has left more than 300,000 Nigerian fishermen and their families homeless.

The government of Nigeria’s fast-growing mega-city of 23 million in October announced its intention to demolish all waterfront communities, home to around 300,000 people, for public safety.

Residents and rights groups say this was an excuse to help a local businessman get rid of a settlement that had existed for decades so he could build more skyscrapers, hotels and malls.

Steve Ayorinde, the Lagos state commissioner for information told the Thomson Reuters Foundation on Tuesday the government would appeal last week’s court ruling that deemed demolitions of the waterfront Otodo Gbame settlements “unconstitutional”.

“The Lagos state government will exercise its constitutional right to appeal a judgment that we do not agree with,” he said in a phone message.

A Lagos government statement on Monday said the court erred in its ruling that the demolitions were illegal because “there was no demolition in Otodo Gbame before the case was filed.”

“There was a fire in Otodo Gbame caused by a violent clash between two rival cult groups. The fire destroyed the community with no residents and property remaining because the burned shanties were built with corrugated sheets, woods and bamboos,” the statement read.

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode visited the community after the incident and stopped reconstruction of the shanties, the statement said, directing those living on the waterfront to leave “for security reasons”.

The High Court issued its ruling on June 21 after a case against the demolitions was launched by the Lagos-based human rights group, Justice and Empowerment Initiative. (JEI)

Justice Adeniyi Onigbanjo ruled the rights of the residents had been violated and ordered that the state government stop further evictions and discuss resettlement.

Campaigners hailed the ruling as a vindication for poorer residents, whose prime land in Nigeria’s biggest city is being cleared to make way for luxury developments.

One man was shot dead and another wounded when the Lagos state police launched the fourth wave of forced removals from the waterfront communities in April.

Weeks after the government announced plans to demolish the slums last year, bulldozers escorted by police arrived after midnight and destroyed dwellings, forcing residents to flee into their canoes and leaving an estimated 30,000 without shelter.

JEI co-executive director and lawyer, Megan Chapman said most had moved in with friends or relatives, although many were still living in their canoes or in the open air.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Okonjo-Iweala, Balogun, Okowa laud Adesina as 2017 World Food Prize Laureate
Next Summary of what Osinbajo told different ethnic groups during the peace dialogues

Related Stories

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.