Media Tax: LASG refutes report of 5% levy, suspends ES LAFVCB over announcement
The Lagos State Government on Friday said it has no five percent levy on audio and visual contents of physical and digital platforms.
The State government however suspended the Executive Secretary of the Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board, Bamidele Balogun who is said to have made the announcement.
In a series of tweets by the Commissioner, Information and Strategy, Lagos State, Gbenga Omotoso such a levy was not approved by the state government.
A letter from the film board addressed to IROKO TV’s Jason Njoku, and seeking the payment of five percent levy “on all audio and visual content on all physical and digital platforms” had been circulating on social media this week.
The letter, signed by Balogun, was dated August 31.
According to the statement, “The Executive Secretary, Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board, Mr. Bamidele Balogun, is said to have announced a 5% levy. The Government hereby dissociates itself from the said announcement in the media”.
“There is no levy on Audio and Visual contents of all Physical and Digital Platforms in Lagos State,” Omotoso said.
“The Executive Secretary, who was not authorised to make such an announcement, has been suspended, pending an administrative inquiry”.
“The fifth pillar of the T.H.E.M.E.S Agenda, the development policy of this Administration, is Entertainment and Tourism. Practitioners are partners in our effort to ensure that Lagos State remains Africa’s leader in entertainment”.
“The Government hereby dissociates itself from the said announcement in the media. The Executive Secretary, who was not authorised to make such an announcement, has been suspended, pending an administrative inquiry.”
Omotoso noted that the administration was not insensitive to the fact that the entertainment and tourism industry had been badly affected by the coronavirus pandemic and would not seek to inflict more pain with taxes, while and empathising with this and other sectors of the economy
“All stakeholders in the Entertainment Industry are advised to disregard the said publication,” Omotoso said.