Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Mother, child among those trapped at collapsed Ibadan building
  • National News

Mother, child among those trapped at collapsed Ibadan building

Admin March 16, 2019

Governor Ajimobi

Governor Ajimobi

No fewer than 25 persons were trapped in a three-storey building under construction which collapsed in Bode area of Ibadan on Friday, barely 72 hours after a another building collapsed in Lagos,  witnesses said.

The incident occurred about 5.30p.m.the witnesses told News Agency of Nigeria(NAN).

David Aderibigbe, a witness who lives close to the building site, said no fewer than 23 workers and two food vendors  were trapped in the building.

He said that only six of the victims had been rescued from the debris by residents of the area.

“Some of the survivors of the incident who have been rescued told us there are no fewer than 23 workers on site and two traders.

“The survivor said one of the traders was trapped with her baby,” Aderibigbe said.

Aderibigbe said some of the victims had been making telephone calls to seek help.

Toheeb Gbadamosi, 19, one of the survivors, said,  “Today is my first time of working at this place.

“I just came around in order to raise some money for my upkeep because things are difficult. I thank God that I came out of the rubble alive.”

Mojeed Agbaje, one of those involved in the rescue efforts, said two of his relatives (Tunde and Oladepo) were trapped in the building.

“I am worried because other people that I know are presently in the wreckage. Tunde sustained injuries on his face and limbs. We have taken him to Molete Hospital and he is recuperating,”

Mr Akin Makinde, the Secretary, Oyo State Emergency Management Agency, said the report of the accident was  shocking.

He said that the agency had always warned builders to adhere  to the building regulations to avoid disasters.

Makinde said that he had contacted an excavator to clear the wreckage to enable the rescue of others still under the rubble.

Meanwhile, fire servicemen, Red Cross and police personnel have deployed to the scene to help rescue victims.

Although the excavator had yet to arrive at the scene of the accident at the time of this report, sympathisers, comprising traders and residents besieged the scene and caused a gridlock.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: David Aderibigbe Ibadan building collapse Mr Akin Makinde Oyo State Emergency Management Agency Red Cross the Secretary

Post navigation

Previous Okorocha to Ihedioha: Your actions are signs of ugly things to come
Next Racism, social media are motivators for New Zealand mosques attacks – Reports

Related Stories

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.