Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Court remands five accused in 2022 Catholic church massacre
  • National News

Court remands five accused in 2022 Catholic church massacre

Admin August 11, 2025
Terrorists in Sambisa forest

Boko Haram terrorists

August 11, 2025

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, ordered the remand of five suspected terrorists who attacked St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo in Ondo State on June 5, 2022, in Department of State Services (DSS) facility.

Justice Emeka Nwite, a vacation judge, gave the order after the five suspects were arraigned and pleaded not guilty to the charges filed against them by the Federal Government.

The suspects include Idris Omeiza, 25 years; Al Qasim Idris, 20 years; Jamiu Abdulmalik, 26 years; Abdulhaleem Idris, 25 years and Momoh Otuho Abubakar, 47 years.

They are 1st to 5th defendants respectively.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the terror attack, which occured on June 5, 2022, at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo in Ondo State left over 40 worshippers dead while over 100 others sustained injuries.

NAN had earlier reported that the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) is prosecuting the case on FG’s behalf.

The nine-count charge, marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/301/2025, was dated and filed on July 23 by M.B. Abubakar, Director of Public Prosecutions in the Federal Ministry of Justice.

When the matter was called, Calistus Eze, who appeared for the FG, informed the court that the matter was scheduled for the arraignment of the defendants.

Eze, however, said that since the charge was filed during the vacation, a summon ex-parte had been filed alongside.

He prayed the court for a leave to move the application and it was granted.

Moving the application, Eze said the summon ex-parte was dated and filed on July 28 and prayed the court for an order allowing the charge to be taken within the vacation period.

Justice Nwite granted the relief in a short ruling.

“In view of this my lord, we apply that the charge be ready to the defendants,” Eze said.

And after the counts were read to the defendants, they all pleaded not guilty.

The prosecuting lawyer then sought a trial date and urged the court to remand them in DSS custody.

“In view of the not guilty plea made by the defendants, we apply for a date to present our witnesses for trial and apply that they be remanded in the custody of the DSS,” he said.

Responding, counsel to the defendants, Abdullahi Muhammad, did not oppose Eze’s application.

Muhammad, however, urged the court to make an order allowing the defendants access to their relatives and lawyers.

According to him, the defendants have been in custody since 2022 and we have not had access to them.

But Eze said as a matter of practice and procedure, defendants are allowed access to their lawyers and relatives if a letter is written, stating the date and time.

The lawyer added that since the trial had also commenced, the defendants would be afforded with the time and facility needed to defend themselves.

The judge subsequently adjourned the matter until Aug. 19 for commencement of trial and ordered them to be remanded at the DSS custody.

The suspects and others, who are at large, were alleged to have sometime in 2021, joined and became members of AL Shabab Terrorist Group.

They were accused of operating their cell in Kogi State contrary to and punishable under Section 25(1) of Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

In count two, they were alleged to have on May 30, 2022; June 3, 2022 and June 4, 2022, at Government Secondary School, Ogamirana, Adavi LGA in Kogi and behind Omialafa Central Mosque, Ose LGA, Ondo State, respectively, attended and held meetings, where they agreed to and planned for the terrorist attack, which they carried out on June 5, 2022, at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(a) of Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

The defendants were alleged to have, on June 5, with intent to cause death, did detonate Improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which led to the death of over 40 persons, including: Ajanaku John; Onuoha Deborah; Onileke Esther and John Bosede.

They were also alleged to have, on June 5 at St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo with intent to further their religious ideology and while armed with IEDs and AK 47 rifles, did attack worshippers, held them hostage and in the process, caused grievous bodily harm to over 100 persons, including Onileke Ayodele, John Blessing, Nselu Esther and Ogungbade Peter.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 42 (a)(ii) of Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022, among other counts.(NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abdulhaleem Idris Al Qasim Idris Boko Haram Emeka Nwite Francis Catholic Church Idris Omeiza ISWAP Jamiu Abdulmalik Momoh Otuho Abubakar

Post navigation

Previous NAF air strikes kill ‘scores of armed bandits’ in Zamfara
Next Mpox: 12 cases recorded in Ondo State as vaccination commences

Related Stories

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.