Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Nigerian auto mechanic killed in fresh South Africa xenophobic rage; Ministry kicks
  • National News

Nigerian auto mechanic killed in fresh South Africa xenophobic rage; Ministry kicks

Admin April 8, 2017

Nigerians protest killings in South Africa

Nigeria’s  foreign ministry  on Friday protested the killing of a Nigerian, Mr Rasaq Ajao, in Polokwane, Limpopo Province, South Africa on Thursday.

Amb. Olushola Enikaonolaiye, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs,  in a statement in Abuja, urged South African authorities to assume their responsibilities in taking proactive measures to prevent such incident.

Enikanolaiye said the deceased was killed by a mob over alleged engagement in drug peddling in Polokwane, Limpopo Province.

He added that “Mr Ajao, an auto mechanic, had lived in South Africa and had been practising his trade for over 10 years without any record of involvement with or in any drug related transaction.

“The Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria also reported that five other Nigerians were wounded in the mayhem and so far, two of the wounded have been discharged and three still receiving treatment in local hospital.

“Following the unfortunate incident, our High Commission has dispatched a strongly worded letter of protest on the death of Mr Ajao and the continued violence against Nigerians.”

According to him, Federal Government considers this development reprehensible and calls for restraint on the part of its citizens as it continues to engage South African authorities for explanations on the recent incident.

He said government would continue to pursue the course of justice for the dead and the injured, as well as ensure adequate compensation for victims.

The permanent secretary said Nigeria was prepared to attend the inaugural meeting of the newly-created Early Warning Mechanism scheduled to hold next week in South Africa.

In the same vein, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Senior Special Assistant to the President  on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, condemned the latest  attack on Nigerians in South Africa, describing it as pathetic.

Dabiri-Erewa said in a statement by her Special Adviser, Media, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, that `this renewed attack and killing of Nigerians in South Africa is pathetic,  coming after high level, successful meetings by both the executive and legislative arms of government.”

She urged South Africa to show political will to deal with the issue by at least punishing the culprits, lamenting that no one had been penalised so far.

She appealed to Nigerians in South Africa to limit themselves to safe surroundings and warned that “this is an attack too many.”

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Give telecom operators Right of Way, Danbatta pleads with state governments, LGs
Next Abuja airport repair 80% completed, may be ready before April 19 – FAAN MD

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.