Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • NOC to re-select qualified athletes for postponed Tokyo Olympic Games
  • International News

NOC to re-select qualified athletes for postponed Tokyo Olympic Games

Admin April 3, 2020
Olympic

Athletes already qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics will need to be picked again by their respective National Olympic Committees to compete at the postponed Games in 2021, the International Olympic Committee said on Thursday.

The IOC and Japanese government succumbed to intense pressure from athletes and sporting bodies around the world last week by agreeing to postpone the Games by a year to 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Some 57 percent of the 11,000 athletes had already qualified for the Tokyo Games this year before qualification tournaments were scrapped as the virus spread in recent months.

Those athletes, the IOC said, would keep their qualification but would need to be re-selected for next year by their National Olympic Committee again as they represented a nation and not themselves.

“All of the qualifications that have been achieved by National Olympic Committees and individual athletes remain in place,” IOC Sports director Kit McConnell said in a conference call.

“Any athlete needs to be individually selected because they represent their NOC. In all sports the NOC retains the right to select the athletes.”

McConnell said the IOC was also in talks with world soccer’s governing body FIFA to decide on the tournament next year, as only players aged under 23 are allowed to compete apart from a limited number of over-age players per team.

In many cases footballers will be above the age limit next year although having qualified this year.

“In several sports there are specific age regulations, minimum or maximum, for health safety or to provide an age group as in men’s football with under-23.”

“We are in discussions with FIFA… We have to finalize that in the coming weeks.”

The IOC is also efforting to make the athletes’ village available again after it was planned to be sold off as apartments after this year’s Games.

“The village is part of the first priority,” the IOC’s Olympic Games Executive Director Christophe Dubi said.

“The village is the home away from home, a fantastic development. It is one of the very first tasks to re-secure this fantastic property. Yes, it is absolutely on that urgency list”.

Dubi said those first priority venues, including the dozens of sports venues, convention sites and thousands of hotel rooms, would need to be re-secured quickly.

“All of this has to be re-secured for one year later,” Dubi said. “It is a massive undertaking to get back to fundamentals.” He added that the IOC planned to have finalised talks for those “priority” locations in a matter of weeks.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Christophe Dubi FIFA IOC

Post navigation

Previous Seeing people bring more hardship on the poor makes me emotional – Gov. Zulum
Next Buhari’s daughter reunites with family

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.