Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Patience Jonathan urges court to set aside $5.8m, N3.5b forfeiture order
  • National News

Patience Jonathan urges court to set aside $5.8m, N3.5b forfeiture order

Admin November 16, 2017

November 16, 2017

Wife of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Patience ,on Thursday asked the Federal High Court, Abuja, to set aside an order which froze her bank accounts containing $5.8 million and N3.5 billion.

Jonathan asked the court to set aside the order it made on May, 30 on the grounds that it had expired.

The former first lady told the court, through her counsel, Mr Mike Ozekhome (SAN) that the order of interim forfeiture, including the one issued on Oct. 10 had been “spent and could not be extended.’’

According to her, the original order was obtained by an improper use of court process by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

She said in a deposition filed in court, that the Incorporated Trustees of Ariwabai Aruera Reachout Foundation, nine other companies and herself were the owners of the money.

Counsel to the EFCC, Mr Richard Dauda, had earlier told the court that he had filed an application seeking to extend the interim order of forfeiture.

The judge, Justice Binta Nyako adjourned the matter until Nov. 23 for hearing.

The Federal High Court, Abuja, had on May 30, granted an ex-parte order in favour of the Federal Government against all the accounts owned and operated by Jonathan and her companies.

Another order was obtained by government from the Lagos Division of the court, directing the managers of Skye Bank, Ecobank PLC , Fidelity Bank PLC, Stanbic IBTC PLC, Zenith Bank PLC, and Diamond Bank PLC to in the interim ,freeze Jonathan’s accounts.

The banks were also directed to attach the various sums of money in the accounts belonging to the former first lady, Finchley Top Homes Limited and Ariwabai Aruera Reachout Foundation.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous APC chieftain urges politicians to emulate Buhari’s political style
Next Corruption fight brings respect to Nigeria-Buhari

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.