Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • P&ID Case: Agbakoba calls for the creation of a national arbitration policy
  • National News

P&ID Case: Agbakoba calls for the creation of a national arbitration policy

Admin September 3, 2019

Mr Olisa Agbakoba

 

The former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr Olisa Agbakoba, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to create a National Arbitration Policy through the enactment of an Executive Order.

Agbakoba, in an open letter written to the President on Monday, said the policy promotes national interest by ensuring the resolution of disputes between Nigeria and foreign investors in relation to government contracts.

“Going forward, I suggest that we establish a National Arbitration policy, represented by an enactment of an Executive Order that will commence the process and procedure of creating the policy. This will ensure that Nigeria’s interests are protected in its commercial relationships with foreign investors”, he advised.

In the letter titled: “Need for an Executive Order on A National Arbitration Policy,” Agbakoba explained that a National Arbitration Policy, if put in place, will ensure that Nigeria’s interests are protected in its commercial relationship with foreign investors”.

The lawyer’s call was in reaction to a recent judgment delivered by a British court, mandating the Nigerian government to forfeit $9.6billion in favour of a company – Process and Industrial Developments Limited (P&ID).

He believes “the incident would have been avoidable, if the advocacy for a National Arbitration Policy had been embraced over 20 years ago.”

According to him, the judgement “has grave far-reaching implications for the country, considering that it represents almost 20% of our foreign reserves, and 25% of our national budget.”

The Federal Government, has, however, said it will appeal the judgment.

According to the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, Dayo Apata, the government has instructed its lawyers to appeal against the ruling.

The ruling is the latest development in the case which started in 2010, regarding an agreement to build a gas processing plant in Calabar, Cross River State.

The project, however, collapsed between Nigeria and the Irish firm after Nigeria is said to have failed to meet its end of the bargain.

He urged the government to commence an immediate and urgent audit as he claimed to be  aware that there are a significant number of arbitrary awards made against Nigeria.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Muhammadu Buhari Olisa Agbakoba

Post navigation

Previous Identity of suspected female fraudster on FBI wanted list arrested is being withheld for now – EFCC
Next UTME: JAMB, NIMC to harmonise data of candidates to check underage registration 

Related Stories

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks 14 projects worth N431.8m in Sokoto

August 19, 2026
Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police Repels Bandit Attack, Rescue Kidnap Victims, Recover Weapons in Nationwide Offensive 

August 19, 2026
Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.