Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • President Buhari did not cancel trip to Ogoni – Presidency
  • National News

President Buhari did not cancel trip to Ogoni – Presidency

Admin June 3, 2016

Osinbajo Ogoni visitThe Presidency, on Thursday, refuted claims that President Muhammadu Buhari cancelled his trip to Ogoniland, Rivers State for the formal flag-off oil spill clean up exercise in the community.

It rather stated that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo represented the president at the occasion. It will be recalled that the presidential movement to the oil rich land had been widely publicized. Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike on the eve of the trip on Wednesday made a broadcast, calling for calm and support for the president.

But at the eleventh hour Wednesday night after his advanced team had arrived Ogoniland, the president detailed his deputy to perform the ceremony thus fuelling speculation that something was amiss.

Some online portals reported that security report may have halted the President’s visit to the grieving community whose sons were killed by Nigeria’s military government years ago.

But responding to enquiries on why the president failed to appear in person, his Special Adviser on media and publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina said that he was represented at the event by his deputy.

“We all went to school. There is a difference between cancellation and being represented by someone. The president did not cancel his trip to Ogoniland. He was represented by the Vice President”, Adesina said.

He did not give reason why the President did not go in person but a Presidency source justified the President’s absence, saying “there is only one Presidency in Nigeria, whether it is the President or Vice President that went is immaterial; what is paramount is that the Federal Government has kept  its promise of ensuring the clean-up of Ogoni land”.

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Police shortlist 338,227 for 10,000 vacancies, over-age, irregularities disqualify 573,211
Next Mob kills woman, slits her throat for alleged blasphemy of Prophet Mohammed

Related Stories

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
83 More Nigerian Returnees Arrive from South Africa Wednesday as Philanthropists Step In Bianca Ojukwu
  • National News

83 More Nigerian Returnees Arrive from South Africa Wednesday as Philanthropists Step In

August 19, 2026
NDLEA raid black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs
  • National News

NDLEA raid black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos Scammers
  • National News

Alleged Criminal Conversion: EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO in Lagos

August 19, 2026
Peter Obi is Nigerians’ Candidate of Conscience – Media Office
  • Politics

Peter Obi is Nigerians’ Candidate of Conscience – Media Office

August 19, 2026
83 More Nigerian Returnees Arrive from South Africa Wednesday as Philanthropists Step In Bianca Ojukwu
  • National News

83 More Nigerian Returnees Arrive from South Africa Wednesday as Philanthropists Step In

August 19, 2026
NDLEA raid black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs
  • National News

NDLEA raid black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.