Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Special Reports
  • Rescuers seek last bodies in South Africa illegal gold mine where 78 died in police siege
  • Special Reports

Rescuers seek last bodies in South Africa illegal gold mine where 78 died in police siege

Admin January 16, 2025

 

Jan. 16, 2025

South African rescuers were making final efforts on Thursday to ascertain whether anyone was left in an illegal gold mine deep underground where at least 78 people died during a police siege, in what a labour union called a state-sponsored massacre.

Police had encircled the mine since August and cut off food and water supplies in an attempt to force the miners up to the surface so they could be arrested as part of a crackdown on illegal mining, which the government calls a war on the economy.

Since Monday, rescuers have used a cylindrical metal cage to pull up 78 dead bodies and 246 survivors, some of them emaciated and disorientated, in a court-ordered operation.

The survivors, who are mostly from Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Lesotho, have been arrested and charged with illegal immigration and mining.

The GIWUSA labour union called the events at the mine in Stilfontein, southwest of Johannesburg, “the worst state-sponsored massacre since the end of apartheid”.

“These miners died en masse due to a series of decisions and brutal crackdown by the operational management of the police, with the approval, and cheering of the political establishment and top echelons of the state,” it said late on Wednesday.

At the site on Thursday morning, the cage was lowered with no one in it but a camera, which police described as a way of verifying information from volunteers who went down on Wednesday evening and said they could see no one left in the mine.

Throughout the rescue operation, police and contractors operating the cage have not been going down themselves but rather have relied on volunteers from the community in the local township where most of the undocumented miners were living.

Police have not explained why they were not going down themselves but Mannas Fourie, CEO of a rescue services company that is involved in the operation, said it was better for the volunteers to go because they knew the miners and could gain their trust.

“There is a risk as well where our people could be taken ransom,” he told Reuters at the scene.

NO WAY TO KNOW IF BODIES LOST UNDERGROUND
Fourie said the volunteers had gone down as deep as 2,200 metres into the shaft and there was only water that far down.

Asked whether there could still be bodies in the tunnels, he said: “It’s difficult to confirm. If somebody got lost, you will never know whether somebody got left behind.”

The president of GIWASU, Mametlwe Sebei, has alleged that during the siege the police removed a pulley system the miners had previously been using to get in and out, leaving them with no realistic prospect of getting out safely.

Sebei, who has been present at the Stilfontein site, said many miners had died crawling through flooded tunnels to try and reach another shaft to climb out.

The police have denied blocking the miners’ exit and said more than 1,500 miners did get out by their own means between the start of the siege in August and the rescue operation, which began on Monday.

Only two of the 78 recovered bodies have been identified so far because many of the illegal miners were undocumented and some of the bodies had decomposed, police spokesperson Athlenda Mathe said.

As the death toll mounted during the three days of rescue, so did criticism of the authorities, but the government has defended its actions as necessary to protect the economy and combat crime.

The mines minister has said the illicit precious metals trade cost South Africa more than $3 billion last year.

Mathe said police were trying to identify the kingpins behind the illegal mining at Stilfontein and hoped there would be arrests soon.

Illegal mining is common in parts of gold-rich South Africa. Typically, undocumented miners known as zama zamas – from an isiZulu expression for “taking a chance” – move into mines abandoned by commercial miners and seek to extract whatever is left. Some are under the control of violent criminal gangs.

Of the 246 survivors brought to the surface from Monday to Wednesday, nine had been hospitalised for medical treatment and were under police guard, Mathe said. The others were in custody.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Athlenda Mathe GIWUSA Mametlwe Sebei Zama zamas

Post navigation

Previous Afreximbank to support aircraft financing for Nigerian Airlines – Director
Next U.S commends Nigeria over Galactica funds repatriation efforts

Related Stories

Regulating the Crypto Frontier: Inside Tinubu’s 2026 Executive Order on Virtual Assets
  • Special Reports

Regulating the Crypto Frontier: Inside Tinubu’s 2026 Executive Order on Virtual Assets

July 17, 2026
DRIVING GRASSROOTS GOVERNANCE WITH PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP: The Gains, the Pains, the Prospects, by Hon. Sunday Dare
  • Special Reports

DRIVING GRASSROOTS GOVERNANCE WITH PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP: The Gains, the Pains, the Prospects, by Hon. Sunday Dare

July 15, 2026
The Frontline War on Nigeria’s ‘Blood Minerals’: Inside the Crackdown in Osun State
  • Special Reports

The Frontline War on Nigeria’s ‘Blood Minerals’: Inside the Crackdown in Osun State

July 13, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu
  • Business & Economy

Understanding CBN’s mandates and policy thrusts, by Arize Nwobu

August 20, 2026
Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
  • Business & Economy

Shell reinforces safety commitment at CEO Contractors Forum

August 20, 2026
Tension grips Osun as gunmen attack Gov Adeleke’s convoy, gunshots send locals scampering to safety
  • Crime and Justice

Tension grips Osun as gunmen attack Gov Adeleke’s convoy, gunshots send locals scampering to safety

August 20, 2026
FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.