Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Videos
  • Shekau in New Message, Says I’m still in charge of Boko Haram
  • Videos

Shekau in New Message, Says I’m still in charge of Boko Haram

Admin August 17, 2015

shekauAn audio message has emerged of Nigerian-based Islamist militant group Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau, in which he denies he has been replaced.

In the message, addressed to the leader of the Islamic State militant group to whom Boko Haram has pledged allegiance, Mr Shekau said he was still in command.

He had not featured in the group’s recent videos, prompting speculation he had been killed or incapacitated.

Last week the Chadian president said Mr Shekau had been replaced.

Mr Shekau described as “blatant lies” reports that he was no longer in charge.

“I am alive,” he said, adding: “I will only die when the time appointed by Allah comes.”

The eight-minute-long recording mocked a recent statement by the new Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari that Boko Haram would be eliminated within three months.

Mr Shekau took over as the group’s leader after its founder, Muhammad Yusuf, died in Nigerian police custody in July 2009.

Under his leadership Boko Haram has become more radical and has carried out more killings.

In numerous videos, Mr Shekau has taunted the Nigerian authorities, celebrating the group’s violent acts including the abduction of the more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls in April 2014.

Last month, Mr Buhari said he would be willing to negotiate with the Boko Haram leadership for the release of the Chibok girls – depending on the credibility of those saying they represented the group.

A previous prisoner-swap attempt ended in failure.

Although momentum is gathering for a concerted regional offensive against the group, Boko Haram continues to carry out horrific attacks, not only in Nigeria but in its neighbours too, reports the BBC’s Africa editor Mary Harper.

BBC

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Unregistered SIM Cards: We Ordered Deactivation, Not Total Withdrawal, Says NCC
Next NNPC GMD Set to Review Joint Venture Partnerships

Related Stories

Zinox Computerise Nigeria Project gathers momentum among Nigerians (Video)
  • Videos

Zinox Computerise Nigeria Project gathers momentum among Nigerians (Video)

November 13, 2025
Strike: Labour unions shut down NASS Senate passes Finance Bill
  • Videos

Strike: Labour unions shut down NASS

June 3, 2024
UK Conservatives say they will define sex as biological to end ‘confusion’
  • Videos

UK Conservatives say they will define sex as biological to end ‘confusion’

June 3, 2024
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.