Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Sierra Leone to take in hundreds of West Africans deported by US, minister says
  • National News

Sierra Leone to take in hundreds of West Africans deported by US, minister says

Admin May 16, 2026

Sierra ​Leone has agreed to take in hundreds of West African migrants who are being deported ‌by the United States, its foreign minister told Reuters, the latest such deal by the Trump administration as it tries to accelerate removals.

The first flight of so-called third-country deportees will arrive in Sierra Leone on May 20, Timothy Kabba said, transporting ​25 nationals from Senegal, Ghana, Guinea and Nigeria.

“Sierra Leone signed a Third Country National Agreement with ​the U.S. to accept 300 ECOWAS citizens from the U.S. per year with a ⁠maximum of 25 a month,” Kabba said, referring to the West African regional bloc.

The U.S. has previously ​sent third-country deportees to African states including Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Eswatini, drawing criticism ​from legal experts and rights groups over the legal basis for the transfers and the treatment of deportees sent to countries where they are not nationals.

DEPORTEES TO AFRICA HAVE BEEN FORCED HOME
Sierra Leone’s arrangement to accept only deportees from ECOWAS countries ​is similar to Ghana’s. Reuters has previously reported on how deportees sent to Ghana, Equatorial Guinea and elsewhere on ​the continent have then been forced to return to their home countries despite receiving court-ordered protection in the U.S. meant ‌to ⁠prevent that from happening.

It is unclear whether the deportees sent to Sierra Leone will be allowed to stay there. A government spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday. Kabba did not say what Sierra Leone would get in return for taking in the deportees.

“It’s part of our bilateral relationship with ​the U.S. to assist with ​its immigration policy,” he ⁠said.

In a report published in February, Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said the total cost of third-country removals was unknown, but that more than $32 million had ​been sent directly to five countries – Equatorial Guinea, Rwanda, El Salvador, Eswatini and ​Palau.

The U.S. ⁠and Sierra Leone have been at odds on deportations before. In 2017, during the first Trump administration, Washington said the U.S. Embassy in Freetown would deny tourist and business visas to Sierra Leonean foreign ministry and immigration officials ⁠because the ​government was refusing to take in Sierra Leonean deportees.

The State ​Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the new agreement with Sierra Leone. The White House and the State ​Department have previously said the deportations are lawful.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: ECOWAS Timothy Kabba

Post navigation

Previous Forty-two pupils missing after Nigeria school attack, lawmaker says
Next International Day of the Boy Child: Peter Obi reflects on the future of the Nigerian boy child

Related Stories

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo
  • National News

NDLEA destroys 4.6 tonnes of suspected cannabis farms in Edo

August 17, 2026
Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA federal republic of nigeria
  • National News

Customs hands over cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA

August 17, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde
  • Commentaries

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen, by Muyiwa Akintunde

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides
  • Politics

NDC leader Dickson appoints Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo, Steve Nwosu as aides

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.