Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • International News
  • Staff of Nigerian Embassy in Washington get salary arrears, begin work
  • International News

Staff of Nigerian Embassy in Washington get salary arrears, begin work

Admin May 5, 2017

Local workers at the Embassy of Nigeria in Washington have been paid their three-month arrears, ending their one-day sit-in on Tuesday.

Some of the workers confirmed to the Correspondent of NAN on Thursday that they had received their cheques for the three-month arrears in dispute.

The Acting Ambassador at the Embassy, Hakeem Balogun, had told NAN on Tuesday that the Embassy was operational and not shut down.

Balogun, however, said the Federal Government was addressing the issue, and confirmed that there was a sit-in by some members of the local staff.

The Chief Driver at the Embassy, Mr Uyi Izebije, who was aggressive to the NAN Correspondent over their action, said that he had been paid.

“Monday was Public Holiday, so we didn’t work on Monday. I will not tell you if we worked on Tuesday or not because you are not my employer.

“But I worked yesterday (Wednesday). Yes, I have been paid. I was paid three months. I’m at the Embassy now working.

“I can see my colleagues at their various work posts,” Izebije told NAN.

The Head of the Drivers, however, refused to confirm if his colleagues had been paid, saying it was not his business to monitor the payment of other workers.

Another worker at the Embassy, Mr Charles Uwaje, also confirmed to NAN that he had been paid the three-month arrears.

“We got paid yesterday (Wednesday). The atmosphere at the Embassy is cool and calm.

“We’re all at our various offices attending to our duties,” Uwaje, who worked in administration section, said.

Another member of staff, Ms Abimbola Akpata, told NAN that they had been paid adding “the issue has now been resolved.

“Here in administration, we are at work and everything has been resolved. The issue about salary has been resolved by the administration and we are all back to work.

“We worked yesterday (Wednesday). We received our paycheck yesterday and everything was resolved yesterday. I received three months salary.

“The atmosphere now at the Embassy is very calm and very peaceful. Everybody is back to work,” Aptata said.

Another female member of staff at the Embassy, who preferred anonymity, also confirmed that they had been paid.

“As at yesterday (Wednesday), we were paid; I worked yesterday. I even worked on Tuesday.

“The atmosphere at the Embassy is normal. You know money makes people excited; once they’ve received their cheques, everybody becomes excited.

“Now it’s normal, there’s no more crisis again, everybody has gone back to their normal places of duty,” the official, said.

The Head of Chancery, Mr Mfawa Abam, told NAN that there were attempts by some of the local staff to blackmail and embarrass the Embassy with their action.

To avoid the destruction and theft of property at the Embassy, Abam said that the Chancery intervened by collecting keys to some of the property.

Abam, however, lamented that some of the staff recorded the actions and posted the videos on social media with a view to embarrassing the Embassy and the country.

“Yesterday, as directed from Abuja, all their entitlements were paid with the money in question. We paid all of them without anything left.

“So they have been settled and everybody went away happy yesterday even this morning, everybody was happy.

“They have been paid up-to-date based on the first allocation. The purpose the money was meant has been done; we paid all of them, all the three months, we paid,” he said.

“So the three months that they were owed were paid. The money they sent was just to take care of the last three months. The local members of staff were all paid the three months.

“Everybody is happy, they started working that yesterday, they were even asking for work. Today, everybody is up and doing, so there’s no problem; it’s quite peaceful and we’re all happy.

“The atmosphere here is calm, there’s no problem since yesterday,” the Head of Chancery, said.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous 36 ships laden with grains, fish, petrol to arrive Nigeria this month – NPA
Next Death of Pastor Obanure shocks RCCG members

Related Stories

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS regional heads
  • International News

32m West Africans risk displacement, $294bn needed to tackle climate crisis — ECOWAS

August 12, 2026
Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says IEA
  • International News

Global 2026 oil supply shortfall to deepen as Hormuz reopening remains elusive – IEA says

August 12, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.