Two Bomb Blasts, 82 Dead and Kaduna Mourns Amid 24-hour Curfew
No fewer than 80 people have been confirmed killed in the daylight double bomb explosions that rocked Kaduna, North-west Nigeria Wednesday. The symbolism of the explosions was that they happened on a day the nation was marking 100 days since the abduction of over 200 Chibok girls from their hostel in Borno State.
The first explosion which occurred around Murtala Mohammed Square was said to have killed at least 25 persons and left several others injured. The bomb devices were said to be hidden in a Golf car. Political Economist had reported last week that bombers seem to have a preference for Golf cars because they are said to be sturdy and cheap.
The bomb was also believed to have targeted an Islamic cleric, Sheik Usman Bauchi, who was said to be conducting Ramadan Tafsir around the Murtala Square when the bomb exploded. As emergency services personnel were still battling to save lives, the second explosion went off but this time in the Kawo area of the Kaduna metropolis and barely two hours after the first one.
Just like the first one, the Improvised Explosive Device was also planted in a Golf car.
While an official of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed 82 dead, eyewitness account says the death toll is more than that.
As at the time of filing this report, no group has claimed responsibility for the blasts. However, it is believed that the dreaded sect, Boko Haram, may be behind the explosions.
Meanwhile, Kaduna State Governor Ramalan Yero, has declared 24 hours curfew in Kaduna, describing the bombing acts as the height of cowardice.
A statement issued by the Governor’s Director General Media and Publicity, Ahmed Maiyaki reads “Following the unfortunate situation, 24 hours curfew has been imposed on Kaduna metropolis with immediate effect, to enable security agencies restore normalcy.
“Enemies of peace have visited us with their ungodly venom of wanton destruction of human lives.
“This blast, coming in the Holy Month of Ramadan, is a clear indication that those behind the act have no iota of fear of God as they have none for the sanctity of human life.”
Governor Yero said despite the success recorded in the improvement of security in Kaduna State, it is obvious that more still needs to be done to ensure safety of people at all times and in all places.
He therefore called on the people of the state to see such unwarranted attacks on innocent people as aggression by evil against good that must be collectively condemned by all.
The governor urged the entire people of the state to be more vigilant with happenings around them and to also avoid unnecessary crowded areas.
Yero said: “The time has come for us to eschew all our differences and confront these brazen attacks as united people.
“Those behind these attacks have no regards for whatever diversity as their victims cut across all ethnic and religious divides.
“It is a responsibility on all of us to unite against this common enemy.”
Yero enjoined the entire citizens of Kaduna State to provide more support to security agencies by providing useful information on suspicious movements and persons within and around their communities.
The governor also commiserated with families of victims of the blasts and has directed security agencies to intensify surveillance while they pursue perpetrators of the blast.