Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • UN receives alleged sexual abuse, exploitation report against peacekeeping personnel, others
  • National News

UN receives alleged sexual abuse, exploitation report against peacekeeping personnel, others

Admin May 31, 2019

United Nations

The United Nations received 43 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against its personnel in the first quarter of 2019, according to a spokesperson.

Mr Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General of the organisation, disclosed this at a news conference in New York on Thursday.

The alleged offenders, according to Haq, include civilian and uniformed personnel from peacekeeping as well as personnel of agencies, funds and programmes.

He quickly noted that not all the allegations reported had been fully substantiated, and that many were in the preliminary stage of assessment.

“Of the 37 allegations, there are 49 victims: 28 women and 11 girls, one boy, seven females of unknown age, one unknown adult and one unknown child”.

“Sixteen of these allegations are categorised as sexual abuse, 27 as sexual exploitation, four are of an unknown nature, and two have been categorised as “others”, of which one was closed.

“Of these 37 allegations, one has been substantiated through an investigation and has been referred to the Member State,” the spokesperson said.

He added that four of the allegations were not substantiated; 26 at various stages of investigation, and six under preliminary assessment to determine if there is sufficient information to investigate.

Haq stated that the world body also received 33 allegations, involving 37 victims and 38 perpetrators, against non-UN personnel working as implementing partners.

Meanwhile, the UN has continued to intensify efforts to implement the Secretary-General’s strategy to combat sexual exploitation and abuse, according to Haq.

“In March, the 2018 Secretary-General’s special measures for protection from sexual exploitation report was released, which contains updates to the information provided in the previous reports”.

“This includes prioritising the rights and dignity of victims, ending impunity, engaging with member states, civil society and external partners and improving strategic communication for education and transparency”.

“We are also continuing our efforts to engage with member states and encourage their Heads of State and Government to join the Secretary-General’s Circle of Leadership, on prevention of and response to sexual exploitation and abuse in UN operations, which now stands at 74 members”.

“The Secretary-General also continues to encourage member states to become signatories to the Voluntary Compact with the Secretary-General of the UN on the Commitment to Eliminate Sexual Exploitation and Abuse,” he said.

Haq said so far, 101 out of the 193 members of the UN have committed to the Voluntary Compact. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Farhan Haq Peacekeeping UN

Post navigation

Previous Okorocha blasts arrest rumour merchants; says I’m not on the run
Next Nigeria could be the first country to sell, franchise VR software for Digital Tourism in the world- NOTAP

Related Stories

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking children
  • National News

FCTA reseals orphanage for illegal operation, alleged child trafficking

August 19, 2026
Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation governor mai mala buni
  • National News

Buni meets Nigerian refugees in Chad, assures support ahead of repatriation

August 19, 2026
FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide
  • National News

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

August 19, 2026
Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.