Xenophobic Attacks: FG Summons South Africa Envoy, Eight Nigerians Want to Return Home
The Federal Government has summoned the High Commissioner of South African, Mr. Lulu Mguni, over xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other Africans living in the country. This is even as eight Nigerians living in South Africa have said they want to return home.
Minister of State II for Foreign Affairs, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, in a statement, on Wednesday, in Abuja, said the essence of the summon was to register Nigeria’s protest over the on-going attacks against fellow Africans in South Africa.
Obanikoro condemned the attacks on foreigners in South Africa, expressing concern on the fate of Nigerians and other nationals who are migrants in the country.
According to him, the South African authorities should take concrete steps to quell the unrest and bring culprits involved to book, to serve as deterrence to others and prevent any further re occurrence.
The minister stressed that South African authorities should also take necessary steps to compensate the victims of these attacks.
He underscored the fact that South Africa is a major player on the continent and should therefore have its nationals live in peace with others.
In his response, South African High Commissioner, Mr. Mguni, thanked the minister for the invitation, informing that his government is doing everything humanly possible to put an end to the attacks and prosecute the culprits.
Mguni expressed appreciation to the Government of Nigeria on the mature manner the crisis had been handled.
“I expressed appreciation to Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner in Pretoria and the Consul General of Nigeria in Johannesburg, for their active engagement with the South African authorities on the matter,” he added.
He assured that sensitisation campaigns would be organised to educate the general public on the need to live together in peace in the country.